Why Heat With Wood Pellets?
Wood pellets –
- Are convenient and easy to use
- Are easy to handle and store in bulk, taking up less space/volume than wood or heating oil, for example
- Ignite quickly, thanks to low moisture content
- Deliver high energy content and save on heating costs
- Burn efficiently and cleanly
- Are a renewable fuel source and environmentally sound, because they are produced from waste materials like forestry residues and sawdust
- Create lower emissions and ash, because they are a carbon-neutralized form of fuel – so the carbon dioxide released during combustion is compensated during the process of photosynthesis by growing trees and plants
- Contribute to economic growth, as they are made in the USA and don’t rely on any foreign components
Bottom-Line Savings That Really Add Up
A primary advantage to using wood pellets for space heating is the savings in heating costs – just one 40 lb bag of PA Pellets wood pellets replaces 2 1/2 gallons of heating oil.
See the Energy Content and Cost Advantages of Pellets vs. Other Fuels
Wood pellets are a significantly more cost-effective choice than propane, standard electricity or kerosene, and far more convenient than firewood.
|Fuel||Energy Content||Unit Price||
|#2 Fuel Oil||139,400 BTU/gal||$3.58/gal||78%||$33.25|
|Natural Gas||100,000 BTU/therm||$1.39/therm||78%||$17.38|
|Electricity – Resistance||3,412 BTU/kWh||$0.12/kWh||100%||$35.16|
|Electricity – Heat Pump||3,412 BTU/kWh||$0.12/kWh||200%||$16.12|
|Wood Pellets||8,200 BTU/lb||$245.00/ton||80%||$18.67|
|Shelled Corn||6,970 BTU/lb||$4.00/50 lbs||75%||$13.66|